Current:Home > InvestBrazil expresses concern over Venezuela-Guyana border dispute as naval exercises begin in area -Capitatum
Brazil expresses concern over Venezuela-Guyana border dispute as naval exercises begin in area
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 12:03:55
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Brazil’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Friday it was “concerned” about a border dispute between Venezuela and Guyana that intensified this week following Britain’s decision to send a warship to Guyana’s shores.
Brazil’s foreign ministry urged both countries to return to dialogue and said third countries should avoid “military activities” that support either side.
Brazil’s statement calls on both countries to stay true to the Argyle Declaration, an agreement signed by Guyana and Venezuela two weeks ago in which their leaders said they would solve the border dispute through nonviolent means.
The border dispute is over the Essequibo, a sparsely populated region the size of Florida that is rich in oil and minerals.
Venezuela on Thursday launched military exercises involving 5,000 troops in the eastern Caribbean in response to Britain’s decision to send the patrol ship.
In a nationally televised speech, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro accused Guyana of betraying the spirit of the Argyle Declaration. The military exercises will be held off Venezuela’s eastern coast near the border with Guyana.
“We will not let anyone push us around,” Maduro said, surrounded by military commanders. He described Britain’s decision to send a warship as a “threat” from a “decaying former empire.”
The UK’s defense ministry has said the ship was visiting Guyana as part of a series of engagements in the region and that the vessel would conduct training exercises with Guyana’s military.
The ship is generally used to intercept pirates and drug smugglers, and recently conducted joint exercises with the navies of several West African nations.
The HMS Trent is equipped with cannons and a landing pad for helicopters and drones and can carry around 50 troops.
In a statement published late Thursday, Guyanese President Irfaan Ali said Venezuela “had nothing to fear” from the ship’s activities in Guyanese waters.
“Guyana has long been engaged in partnerships with regional and international states aimed at enhancing internal security,” Ali said. “These partnerships pose a threat to no one and are in no way intended to be aggressive.”
Guyana has controlled the Essequibo for decades, but Venezuela revived its historical claim to the region earlier this month through a referendum in which voters were asked whether the Essequibo should be turned into a Venezuelan state.
Critics of Maduro argue that the socialist leader has reignited the border dispute to draw attention from the nation’s internal problems as Venezuela prepares for a presidential election next year. Maduro intends to run for a third term.
Venezuela says it was the victim of a land theft conspiracy in 1899, when Guyana was a British colony and arbitrators from Britain, Russia and the United States decided the boundary.
Venezuelan officials also argue that an agreement among Venezuela, Britain and the colony of British Guiana signed in 1966 to resolve the dispute effectively nullified the original arbitration.
Guyana maintains the initial accord is legal and binding and asked the United Nations’ top court in 2018 to rule it as such, but a decision is years away.
veryGood! (49526)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 11 students hospitalized after fire extinguisher discharges in Virginia school
- Judge in Trump's 2020 election case pauses proceedings amid dispute over immunity
- British teenager who went missing 6 years ago in Spain is found in southwest France, reports say
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Dismayed by Moscow’s war, Russian volunteers are joining Ukrainian ranks to fight Putin’s troops
- Firefighters rescue dog from freezing Lake Superior waters, 8-foot waves: Watch
- Japan’s Kishida replaces 4 ministers linked to slush funds scandal to contain damage to party
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Guyana and Venezuela leaders meet face-to-face as region pushes to defuse territorial dispute
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Why Twilight’s Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson “Never Really Connected on a Deep Level”
- Bernie Sanders: We can't allow the food and beverage industry to destroy our kids' health
- Virginia 4th graders fall ill after eating gummy bears contaminated with fentanyl
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Naval officer jailed in Japan in deadly crash is transferred to US custody, his family says
- Coal mine accident kills 3 in northern China’s Shanxi province, a major coal-producing region
- Artificial intelligence is not a silver bullet
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
Ireland’s prime minister urges EU leaders to call for Gaza cease-fire at their summit
11 students hospitalized after fire extinguisher discharges in Virginia school
SEC announces team-by-team college football schedules for the 2024 season
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Carbon monoxide leak suspected of killing Washington state college student
Kyiv protesters demand more spending on the Ukraine’s war effort and less on local projects
NBA All-Star George McGinnis dies at 73 after complications from a cardiac arrest